Food does not need to be complicated. I used to get so confused on how to eat healthy, so trust me, I've been there. Sometimes I still get trapped in all the noise! I have my fundamentals on how to eat healthy and I'd like to share them with you.
Allah SWT has created a plethora of foods for us with medicinal properties, physical beauty, lovely aromas, and one of a kind flavors. If you are confused on what to eat, it's okay! It's often marketed to be confusing. It doesn't have to be though. Everyone is bio-individual and needs different things.Food heals. Here are some tips for how to eat healthy, regardless of your eating style, your palate, your genetics, your health concerns/conditions, or your lifestyle.
1. Choose unprocessed foods in their whole form over processed foods as often as you can. Fillers and preservatives often wreck havoc on digestion. Unprocessed foods that you cook yourself are fresher and cleaner. When choosing processed foods, focus on ingredients, the level of quality and the company values.
2. Every meal should contain protein, carbs, fats, and fiber. Protein for your muscles and hormones. Carbs for your energy and hormones. Fats for your brain, hormones and vitamin absorption. Fiber for smooth digestion. That's oversimplifying things, so please empower yourself and read and understand the science of why each of these are important. I'm only sharing some highlights.
3. Pay attention to how food makes you feel and begin to understand your unique body. Something that is helpful to one person may be extremely harmful to another. Everyone is different.
4. Get annual blood testing to find out if there are any areas you need personalization in. CBC panel, CMP panel, vitamin d, b12, folate, thyroid panel, lipid panel, urinalysis are some very basic essentials. Often, you will also need tests personalized for your own genetics, lifestyle, health concerns, etc. Work with a professional to get recommendations personalized to you.
5. Keep it simple.
6. Enjoy what you are eating.
7. Drink lots of water daily and separate drinking water from eating. This optimizes digestion. Optimal consumption is 15-20 mins before eating and 2+ hours post eating.
8. Pay attention to how your body digests food. Digestion is one of the biggest precursors to good health. Learn the digestion process and pay attention to food every single step of the way. It may sound silly or like a lot of work, but it really only requires extra effort in the beginning until it becomes second nature. Get to know your body! If you need a place to start, check out my free daily wellness checklist to help you with this, inshaAllah (God willing).
9. Greens. You need them and there are plenty of ways to make them taste amazing. They alkalize your body, aid in digestion, have a host of beneficial nutrients.
Those are some of my foundational tips. As always, take what works for you and leave what does not, inshaAllah (God willing).